Monday, July 11, 2016

HAUNTED

HAUNTED

All my life I've been haunted
By the ghosts of someone else's past
And all I've ever wanted
Is to walk barefoot in the grass

Can't you hear the voices screaming
late at night, with the stars all aglow
Please don't wake me if I'm dreaming
I want to be free, I want to let go

Cut these strings that bind me
to this life full of pain
Let me drift where none can find me
Somewhere beyond the rain

By the light of day, I am crying
It ain't right, so I'm told
They say I really should be trying
but the summer sun is so cold

Your tender words are like
pouring gasoline on a fire
They bring me no relief,
they only inflame my desire

And the heart that I gave so freely
has come apart at the seams
And the need to feel something
drives us on to new extremes

So in the twilight's last gleaming
I sold my soul for whiskey and gold
And the illusion of true love
from a boy just 16 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment